Sunday, November 6, 2011

Andy Rooney remembered

As his former 60 minutes colleagues pay special tribute to Andy Rooney, fans of his radio essays and newspaper columns mourn the passing of a self-described curmudgeon of the broadcast and print. The following is a eulogy, of sorts.




  Minute by Minute

For nearly 60 minutes,
I sit, and wait, and stare;
I’m set for the finale,
But Andy isn’t there.

I wait all week for Sunday;
The show goes on the air;
I stay until the end comes,
But Andy isn’t there.

I sit there for an hour
To see him in his chair.
The minutes fly on by but,
Right! Andy isn’t there.

For all these years, I’ve tuned in,
To miss a night was rare –
Now Andy’s said farewell and
The man’s no longer there.

So if there is a Heaven
Out in the bright “somewhere”,
When it comes our time to follow,
I’m sure Andy will be there.

 
©  2011  Jim Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment